A few days ago, Mazda officially announced that Glen McGee was the winner of the 2015 Mazda Shootout, an annual event to grant a scholarship for the next MX5 Cup season.
The prize package, valued at $100,000, breaks out as follows:
- A budget for the running of his car for the season
- A parts support budget
- A Mazda Motorsports driving suit and helmet
- Professional media training (Courtesy of Mazda)
- Twelve sets of BFGoodrich tires, one set per race (Courtesy of BFGoodrich Tires)
- Twelve entry fee waivers (Courtesy of SCCA Pro Racing)
McGee was an iRacer selected from the best 10 top drivers of the last virtual iRacing MX5 Cup season series. Richard Eklund was the other selected iRacer also but at the end, only one can be chosen by Mazda.
Last season Evan Maillard and Steven Diem were the contestants sent by iRacing but unfortunately they didn’t make it.
You can read a summary of the last year event here.